I have not used blogs in my teaching yet and I find it difficult to come up with math blog ideas. I often feel that our curriculum is too procedural based, but blogging could be a useful way of developing a deeper connection with the concepts.
My first idea for using blogs in a math classroom is to have the students capture their encounters with mathematics in their everyday lives (MST standard 3, 6, and 7). Students could write their experience, show pictures, or use videos to share their real-world math experiences. The article, “From Toy to Tool: Audio Blogging with Cell Phones”, by Liz Kolb, describes how students can use cell phones with blogs to capture interviews, pictures, and videos. This would be a great tool that most students have on hand to help them with the assignment. Also the blog would allow other students to comment on the encounters and share similar experiences. This would be a great way to help students see that math really is everywhere.
Article: "From Toy to Tool: Audio Blogging with Cell Phones", by Liz Kolb
Another topic students could blog about is the graphing calculator (MST standard 5 and 6). There are many ways to find solutions on the graphing calculator so it might be interesting to have students discuss how they found the answer to a certain problem. For example, to find the solution(s) of a parabola and a line there are many ways to calculate the coordinate solution point(s). Students could suggest looking at the table, calculating the intersection, or estimating the intersection. Students would have the opportunity to try the different processes and also discuss which method they feel is the most efficient.
Finally, students could share links with each other (MST Standard 5). Students could research certain topics for review activities, re-teach sites, and more. Through the blog students could create a library of resources with a short description of each link. These links would provide excellent study help.

You have come up with 3 great ways for using blogs. Love the picture!
ReplyDeleteDr. Burgos
Hi,Katherine,
ReplyDeleteI am surprised to know that you are a math teacher. I thought most of the students in LAI544 are English teachers! As to your ideas about teaching students blogging, I think most of your ideas are creative. But, I have a piece of advice for you and I think it may help- I recommend you giving your students one on-line math question to answer/solve each week. In order to motivate them to participate, you may need to give them rewards if they can answer/solve the question correctly. I think by doing so, you can encourage them to blog together! Moreover, it is fun!
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI think you really have some awesome ideas for using a blog in a math class. I agree that it can be so difficult to try and incorporate things like a blog into a math classroom. Friends of mine who are math edu. majors struggle with it all the time. I really like your idea of having students blog on their experiences in the real world with math. I think that would answer the age old question of "When am I ever going to use this?" Students would be able to see their peers using what they are learning in the classroom in their daily lives. Great ideas! P.S. Your blog looks great!
-Jess Kramer